Release criteria proposal: 'support' /boot on RAID

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 03:32:18 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 04:20 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> "The installer must be able to create and install to software, hardware
> or BIOS RAID-0, RAID-1 or RAID-5 partitions"
>
> Mo has already written up a test case for /boot on RAID which we can use
> to test this in future.
>
> Any thoughts, modifications, objections? Thanks!

You probably want to be clear that /boot is RAID-1 only (unless grub2
has *really* come a long way).

Also, I see 3 possible scenarios:

1. create a brand new software RAID-1 device and format it
2. format an existing software RAID-1 device
3. use an existing software RAID-1 device without formatting

I think it's worthwhile being specific about which are supported.