grub2 confusion

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:40:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 14:44:09 -0400, TH (Tom) wrote:
>>>
>>> So, more symlink madness. /etc/grub2.cfg -> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>>> and it doesn't even work flawlessly:
>>
>> This is like the grub1 "/etc/grub.conf" symlink; faster access to the
>> grub configuration and grub configuration accessible under "/etc".
>
> And cannot be used in conjunction with grub2-mkconfig after editing files
> in /etc/grub.d/, so its questionable. qed.
>>>
>>> # grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2.cfg
>>> Generating grub.cfg ...
>>> # ls /etc/grub2.cfg
>>> /etc/grub2.cfg
>>>
>>> WTF? It didn't _follow_ the symlink, it replaced it with a file.
>>
>> Of course. That's what overwriting a symlink with a file does.
>
> Which makes the symlink less useful.
>
> With GRUB 1 where one had to use an editor to edit the config file
> directly, one could use the symlink out of convenience.

Neither "grub2-mkconfig" nor "/etc/grub2.cfg" are meant to be used as
you're trying to use them.

By default, "grub2-mkconfig" outputs to stdout. "grub2-mkconfig -o
/etc/grub2.cfg" is the equivalent of "grub2-mkconfig >
/etc/grub2.cfg".

I use "vi /etc/grub2.cfg", which is perfectly reasonable and useful,
and is the same as using "vi /etc/grub.conf" previously.