Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Oct 13 19:20:10 UTC 2011

El Tue, 04 Oct 2011 22:05:31 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> escribió:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 03:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> > On 30 September 2011 20:23, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > So this discussion seems to have stalled. Tim and I are both
> > > ambivalent, and we got three responses that were positive but
> > > tentative or from 'interested parties' (no offence :>). Does
> > > anyone who doesn't have skin in the game have an opinion either
> > > way?
> >
> > I'll just mention that as far as I'm concernd Fedora 16 boots and
> > runs *VERY* well as a dom0 and a domU, the sticking point is the
> > actual installation as a domU (the paravirtual device driver issue,
> > probably grub2 issues) I can get around this for my own purposes by
> > "knife and forking" together a system image copied from a non-xen
> > installation, it would be a shame to not have this feature mor
> > easily available ...
>
> What's necessary to make it a release blocker is not so much 'it'd be
> nice if it worked' arguments - I think in general everyone agrees it'd
> be nice if it worked :) - but more 'it would be terrible to release
> without it working, because' arguments. That's the level of impact we
> need for release criteria, because something being in the release
> criteria means that if it's not working, we don't ship. Which is a
> pretty high bar to get over.

From my point of view, there seems to be enough demand for ec2 images
of fedora. and releng has been requested to produce them. which means
that it needs to work at least in amazons ec2 environment.  ec2 is xen
based. they use rhel5 of different versions on the hosts. while it
would be awesome to run on fedora dom0 hosts we have kvm so im less
inclined for that to be a blocker.  there is enough differences between
the old xen used in ec2 and the much newer xen in fedora that i cold
see it could be possible for a image to boot in one environment and not
the other.  so yes it should be a blocker, my vote would be if it
doesnt work in ec2 we block.

Dennis