repo=hd: question

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:19:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:06:39 -0400 (EDT), HY (Hongqing) wrote:

> > I have been experimenting with trying to load Fedora 16
> > off a hard drive partition but can't quite get it to work.
> > The documentation I've found via Google is poor and
> > seems to conflict with what almost works.
> >
> > At some points it seems to be looking for a tree, not an ISO.
> > No tree,so not pass go.  Later it complains about not finding
> > an iso image.
> >
> > So --- assuming I have /dev/sda2 reserved for storing Fedora
> > files, please state what goes where and what to specify
> > to which prompt.  Please no references to dead URLs.

Example:

# ls /root/mnt/1/16
Fedora-16-Beta-x86_64-CHECKSUM  initrd.img   vmlinuz
Fedora-16-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso   updates.img

That's /dev/sda8 mounted on /root/mnt/1, so when installing Fedora 16 Beta
I let GRUB boot the vmlinuz+initrd.img with  repo=hd:/dev/sda8:/16  and no
askmethod arg. /16 is the directory that contains the DVD ISO image and any
optional updates.img as sometimes provided by Anaconda devs.

> Hi, Chuck,
>
> Since this is still no F16 release documents, so maybe the old release not
> does not work.

It does. I've installed F16 Beta that way. However, during development,
every release of Fedora may suffer from regression or new bugs related to
various Anaconda install methods. One would need to discuss the install
scenario with details before one could draw conclusions.