Release criteria proposal: i18n criteria

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 17:00:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 02:16 -0400, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> Thanks for considering to add a criterion for translations. I'm
> excited to see that.
> Since I missed this post, sorry for not bringing this up earlier.
>
> So I'd clarify this, what exactly "popular languages" is. that sounds
> like a quite vague and might make a flamewar when any case is raising.
> So that would be nice if it explicitly has the measurable way what we
> are fully going to support on the release, such as languages meets
> over 90% of translations complete at the translation deadline or stats
> on smolt etc.

I think we'd mostly wind up going with 'number of people who speak the
language', which should be reasonably clear-cut. The idea is just to
give us a get-out clause for a bug which only affects a very little-used
language. I'm not sure if it's a great idea to tie ourselves to an
inflexible number-based definition, as that could lead to problems down
the road when some language that just doesn't quite make the number but
is really still pretty important gets broken...