Fedora 16 TC2 graphics distortion issues

Pratyush Sahay pratyush.a.sahay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 02:19:32 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Have been testing TC2. Did a F15 --> F16 upgrade via DVD media, plus yum
update. There are certain graphics related issues that am observing of late
on my Thinkpad R60 with Intel graphics:

a) Tooltips in a few gnome apps seem broken. Only a black box appears [1],
[2] (Nautilus, Rhythmbox). Tooltips in gnome-terminal show normal behaviour.
b) Selecting multiple files in nautilus via mouse shows up a opaque white
box over all the files [3]
c) Quite a few places (including nautilus) a single file selection shows up
under a pink opaque box. I couldnt capture a screenshot for nautilus, but
have an e.g for PackageKit GUI [4]. The box goes away upon clicking anywhere
else in the GUI once again.
d) (The thing hurting me the most..) my MATLAB plots just dont show any
axes, just blank boxes ! The screenshot is of MATLAB under F15. F16
continues to show similar problem. Dont know whether its a MATLAB/Java
related issue [5]

[1] http://goo.gl/i6mgt         (Broken tooltip in Nautilus)
[2] http://goo.gl/SelqQ        (Broken tooltip in Rhythmbox)
[3] http://goo.gl/AsIeA        (Nautilus white box while selecting files)