Release criteria proposal: i18n criteria

A S Alam apreet.alam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:28:18 UTC 2011

ਮੰਗਲਵਾਰ  25 ਅਕਤੂਬਰ 2011 05:19 ਸ਼ਾਮ ਨੂੰ, Kamil Paral ਨੇ ਲਿਖਿਆ:
>> No, and no, this is not the purpose of the criterion. It's not about
>> >  missing translations.
> In that case everything's perfect and I just misunderstood it.
>
> What confused me most is probably the phrase "all sufficiently complete translations". I am not sure about its purpose. Does it mean that if German has 90% complete GNOME translations, but Nautilus (even though fully translated) shows in pure English, it is a blocker; but if Arabic has 20% complete GNOME translations, and Nautilus (even though fully translated) shows in pure English, it is not a blocker? I.e. Nautilus code is broken, but only for Arabic ->  Arabic translations are too incomplete ->  not blocker? Is that the intended purpose?
>
> Not saying it's wrong or right, probably both. Just clarifying
I agree with even if translation is 99%, then also chance that user will
go untranslated message like only untranslated messages "File" "Edit" in
Nautilus. Most of time, user feels that application is untranslated,
even it is only 1% untranslated.

Application selection (like Tier 1, Tier 2) can be used for it.
Tier 1: anaconda, firstboot, gdm, gnome-shell etc. (example only)
Tier 1: gnote, gnome-power-manager (example only)

selection can be based on default desktop with limited set of application.

thanks
--
A S Alam
---------