tracker search tool

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 10:21:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:38:21 -0600, DJG (Dariusz) wrote:

> Yet, I get tracker, where I didn't ask for it. It would have been OK if it was disabled by default
> but not only it wasn't but it created problems for me (not to mention what is the point of scanning
> removable media by default is beyond me). Without any hint of how to disable it.

Funny you would say that. The packaging of "tracker" is flawed. From the
documentation that is included in the main package, none explains how to
disable it. The separate "tracker-docs" package contains API documentation
only.

$ rpm -qd tracker
/usr/share/doc/tracker-0.11.2/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/tracker-0.11.2/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/tracker-0.11.2/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/tracker-0.11.2/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/tracker-0.11.2/README
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-control.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-extract.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-import.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-info.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-miner-fs.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-search.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-sparql.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-stats.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-store.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-tag.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tracker-writeback.1.gz

Section "5.1 Usage" in the README file mentions a couple of executables,
which are not available. That's what prompted me to do more repoquerying
in order to find missing tools.

However, some of the executables are not available in Fedora,
e.g. /usr/bin/tracker-status-icon. Strangely, the tracker-search-tool
package does NOT contain /usr/bin/tracker-search-tool but just the missing
/usr/bin/tracker-preferences. Not enough to disable tracker, as it
continued to work on something with significant fan activity despite the
disabled indexing targets. Could it be that it's necessary to delete all
the default directory entries for recursive/non-recursive indexing, too?
Ubuntu documentation mentions a single checkbox to disable indexing fully.

The same README also says

|  * Provides option to index removable devices.

but nowhere mentioned that this is on by default.

> It's a quick and easy way to piss off users :(

Absolutely. If it's just new dependencies that pull in tracker, the new
system behaviour will certainly have a boomerang effect and annoy many
users once they install F-16:

====================================================================================================
 Package                     Arch           Version                  Repository                Size
====================================================================================================
Removing:
 tracker                     x86_64         0.11.2-1.fc16            @fedora                  4.5 M
Removing for dependencies:
 grilo-plugins               x86_64         0.1.17-1.fc16            @updates-testing         439 k
 shotwell                    x86_64         0.10.1-1.fc16            @anaconda-0              8.7 M
 totem                       x86_64         1:3.1.4-1.fc16           @fedora                  8.2 M
 totem-nautilus              x86_64         1:3.1.4-1.fc16           @fedora                  228 k
 tracker-search-tool         x86_64         0.11.2-1.fc16            @fedora                  316 k

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc4.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.08 0.26 0.15