Laptop overheating with F 16

Frederic Muller fred at cm17.com
Tue Sep 13 02:28:20 UTC 2011

On 09/13/2011 07:42 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 15:23 -0800, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>
>> Well folks, thank you all so much for your time and energy. Adam, thanks
>> for your patience. Looks like this is a hardware issue, I don't know why
>> it didn't crop up before when I was load testing F 15 and Windows, but
>> after jumping into Windows to try and get the temperatures, as
>> suggested, for a point of comparison the system over heated and shut
>> down. In fact it did it twice in a row, so that is more than enough
>> confirmation for me, I will be talking with Lenovo to get new hardware.
>>
>> I will also close up the bug report I filed. Thanks again for your
>> patience and the information, I learned a lot during this process.
>
> No problem. The 'compressed air in the fan vents' wheeze is worth a
> shot, though. It can certainly help.

Funnily I went into the same problem on F15 and that happened before and
after I replaced the fan. It's also a Thinkpad, but older generation
(T60). I regularly get shut down because of excessive heat or can't
reboot because of it. Never ever happened before F15 (I assumed it was a
hardware problem).

I'll re-read the thread and see if I can get useful metrics.

Thanks.

Fred