Laptop overheating with F 16

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 07:33:05 UTC 2011

Dne 13.9.2011 00:11, Erinn Looney-Triggs napsal(a):
> On 09/12/2011 01:56 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>> Just as a datapoint, I am typing this on a thinkpad T510 running f16,
>> and I see no heat issues. In normal operation I see 45-46C, and when
>> under heavy load it hits 60's and keeps running along fine.
>>
>> kevin
>>

> Kevin,
> Thanks for that info, I too run about 45 or so on idle, but the leap up
> is huge once load is put on the system. It goes from 45 to about 98 in a
> matter of 10 seconds or so.

I should probably add here couple comments - the heat of CPU at least on my
T61 is heavily influenced by BIOS settings - if there is not enabled maximum
performance and BIOS is allowed to handle thermal peace and quietness and
throttling, then CPU is kept within 60 degrees.

However when all such options are turned off - it goes easily to 95 degrees -
but not in matter of seconds -  fan would have to be kept off for such fast
temperature increase - it takes like minutes to climb so high with default
'auto' fan settings.

Since some time - I'm happy user of slightly modified 'thinkfan' tool to keep
my laptop slightly warmer and mostly completely quite.  Modification is for
usage of 'disengaged' level - thus when my CPU goes over the 70 degrees (i.e.
kernel compilation, stress -c4,...)  this highest fan speed keeps the CPU
around ~74 degrees - no way to go higher.

So I'd suggest to check whether   'level disengaged' is fast enough to avoid
overheating (check for 'options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1 experimental=1')

If you are still able to burn your CPU quickly - then you cooling does not
work properly and should be cleaned (or replaced).

Zdenek