Inadequate sound device control

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Mon Apr 16 02:05:56 UTC 2012

On 04/15/2012 09:48 PM, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> 'yum search pulse' shows, among many other things, these:
>
> paman.x86_64 : Management tool for PulseAudio
> paprefs.x86_64 : Management tool for PulseAudio
> pavumeter.x86_64 : Volume meter for PulseAudio
>
> Maybe some of these will do what you desire?
Not as far as I can tell.

And in any case this begs the question of why one would have to install
non-standard tools to access functionality that (a) people are likely to
need to access and (b) was previously accessible using standard tools.

(I understand that you are trying to be helpful and solve my particular
problem for me, and I appreciate that, but since I can already solve my
particular problem with alsamixer, as yucky as that is, I'm much more
interested in the general problem that most users aren't going to be
able to figure out how to modify their sound card settings.)

   jik