F17 Beta DVD install options

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:42:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 09:50 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone tried the recent beta released on DVD?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it give
>> various install options like F16?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   The alpha F17 only installed bare
>> minimal.
>
> Um, no it didn't. It had a full set of install options and defaulted to
> a heavy graphical desktop install just like F16.
>
> That sounds like you wound up with text mode install, for some reason,
> which gives you a minimal package set and no choice about it. If that
> happens and you didn't explicitly request it, the important question
> becomes 'why did I wind up in text mode', and the answer is usually
> 'there's some kind of bug in the graphics driver for my video adapter'.
>
> Try Beta, and let us know what happens :)
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
> http://www.happyassassin.net

Tried a i386 F17 Beta on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 machine here at
work and works fine.  However my new upgraded home machine fails :(

Hardware info:

* AMD FX8120 8 core @ 3.1GHz
* Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
* 2x  G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866
(PC3 14900) F3-14900CL10D-16GBX  (running @1600 because of AMD
limitation on 4 DIMs while supports for 1866 only for 2 DIMs)
* 3ware 9650SE-8LPML with 4x HDD on RAID5
* Sapphire 100292DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16
* DVD-RW connected to a mobo SATA connection.

All mobo SATAs (including eSATA) are set to AHCI, only the DVD-RW is
connected to the mobo SATA.

>> Windows 2008 R2 installs (requires driver for 3ware 9650SE) but refuses to installed on GPT... :shrug:
>> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS beta installs (but detected my DVD-RW with acpi=no).
>> F16 installs OK with troubleshooting option (of xdriver=vesa and nomodeset ?) but failed to detect my DVD-RW, even with acpi=no.
>> F17 DVD install didn't went past beyond the initial UI menu, troubleshooting option or not.  However, upgrade from F16 via preupgrade works but still failed to detect DVD-RW.
>> Haven't got around to test FreeBSD 9 yet...

For the video, Ubuntu 12.04 supports dual monitor with 1680x1050 and
1920x1200 fine w/o downloading and installing proprietary driver.  F16
& F17 didn't, even with driver v12.2 (?) downloaded from AMD :(...

Thanks,
Tommy