Inadequate sound device control

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 17:17:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 17:46 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:

> - but I repeat "I never had", 'cause ine pre-PA years I've been
> using cards with hardware mixing; owners of the cheap integrated
> ones may see that as a benefit, as previous attempts like ESD or
> aRts weren't much better than PA either

I don't know why software mixing always comes up when talking about PA,
because it's really pretty irrelevant. ALSA itself has been able to do
software mixing for years and years, since before PA was commonly used.
There's an ALSA module called 'dmix' which does software mixing and
which is loaded by default for all ALSA drivers nowadays. Software
mixing is not a benefit of PA, in any practical sense.