Fedora-17 Irritations

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sat Apr 21 11:35:55 UTC 2012

On 21/04/12 11:48, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/21/2012 06:11 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>>
>> I've just installed the beta in a VM so as to evaluate GNOME 3.4 (and Fedora-17 as
>> well). Two irritating issues have emerged that would be show stoppers, if incapable
>> of resolution. They are:
>>
>> 1. I choose United Kingdom (English) for the obvious reason - I live here - and I
>> appear to be forced to use the French numbering system, rather than Imperial.
>
> Not a GNOME user.  Easy to set in KDE as a locale setting.  I'll check on GNOME if I
> have the chance ....

Yes! I use KDE as my current desktop of choice and I have no problems. I
just thought it was time to re-evaluate GNOME at 3.4. :-)

>> 2.I installed an HP printer via the Printers dialogue and I cannot find any way to
>> set paper sizes to A4.
>
> This can easily be set in CUPS.  Using a browser go to http://localhost:631/ and
> choose the "Administration" tab.  Should be obvious from there.

Again no problem. The physical printer is set to A4 and test pages print
as A4 with KDE, but with GNOME 3.4 under Fedora-17 the output is
American Letter size. Whence cometh it?

Peter HB