F17 PM Test day late :) recap

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 05:35:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:35:35 -0500
Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

> Adam Williamson wrote:
> [large snip]
> I hate to snip such a large body, but it will save other eyes from
> having to skip past it here.
>
> > Hope that made sense and made things a bit clearer :)
>
> I keep up with the test list (and occasionally enter QA meetings) so I
> am familiar with what you are attempting to do with TCMS. My
> suggestion was purely generic in nature. In the end I think you still
> need a wiki extension to handle the data entry as mediawiki is
> limited in large database-like data handling.
>
> For instance: instead of a client app it could be a web app that
> accepts test case input from a user and stores it in a database for
> display on the corresponding wiki page. The wiki page would have a
> link on it eg. "input test data" that would link to the web app.
>
> In any case I'm sure the Smart Minds of RHQA will figure it out. :P

[ cc'ing test@ since this is relevant to QA ]

I'm going to avoid Adam's discussion of TCMSs for the moment since any
solution like that would be a large undertaking and a little different
from the original issue raised with our current system(s).

As a short term solution, I think that we write up a webapp that took
in results and dumped to a wiki page either at regular intervals or at
the end of the test day without too much effort. That way we could at
least get around the problem of conflicting wiki writes without coming
up with a completely new system. Assuming we did a decent job writing
the app, it could also make result reporting less confusing to people
who aren't familiar with the test day process.

I'm still unsure of the immediate need for more than what we already
have. I realize that the PM test day caused problems - this isn't the
first time that the issues from that test day have come up.
However, I'm not currently aware of any other test days that had
similar issues of write conflicts and confusion. Have enough other
test days hit similar problems to make it worth the effort to write,
maintain, host and support anything beyond what we currently have?

Has anyone else run into similar issues when running a test day? How
much need is there for something more than what the wiki can currently
provide?

Tim