boot loop

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Aug 11 23:51:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:26:39 -0500
Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 18:02:10 -0400,
>    Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> >
> >I duped the bug I just filed against yours, but re-reading it I am
> >not sure they are the same thing.
>
> They don't look the same. I am seeing the behavior you are on a
> machine I just moved from f17 to f18.

ok. Thats the case here also, just updated from 17 to 18.

> >Here it never drops me to a dracut shell, it just loops over and over
> >forever. It gives a "welcome to dracut" banner (which is normally the
> >welcome to fedora one.
> >
> >My debugging of this seemed to indicate that it was a problem in
> >pivot_root... it never could move /dev /sys mounts or switch root to
> >the /sysroot mount.
> >
> >I am running now with a older dracut and initramfs made with that,
> >but the latest f18 systemd just fine.
>
> I don't think it is just dracut, because I built the initramfs that I
> am using on this machine using dracut-023-2.fc18 and it works. It
> might be that two things changed and the combination is causing a
> problem. I am running 3.6.0-0.rc1.git0.2.fc18.i686.PAE for speed. So
> maybe there could be a kernel issue that doesn't trigger a problem
> with the older dracut?

It might well still be systemd. I can't recall when I downgraded... if
it was before or after dracut re-gen...

I suppose I could dracut -f with the updated systemd and see if it
breaks or works. (ie, the important part is what version of systemd is
installed when you make your initramfs)

kevin