Preupgrade from F17 to F18 Branched

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 05:02:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 17:29 -0400, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:

> major
> F18,
> > > your
> > >
> > > Oh, well that would be easier for me since it stays more in my
> > > familiar realm.  (Preupgrade looks neat, but my norm is fresh
> installs
> > > + puppet.)  Should this wisdom (both waiting until Beta and that
> link)
> > > be incorporated into
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/
> > Branched#Yum_update_from_previous_official_release?
> >
> > Probably not. Actually I should have written that a bit differently:
> > it's a *good* thing from a QA perspective that you're trying
> preupgrade
> > now and finding the bugs. We want them found early. It's only a bad
> > thing from the point of view that it has about 0% chance of
> succeeding.
> > =) Even if you get the preupgrade bit working, I believe newUI
> anaconda
> > does not actually implement upgrades yet, so there is no chance the
> > anaconda bit of the process will work.
>
> > Cool. Let us know if you find any QA process documentation missing -
> > think we cover it pretty well though :)
>
> It is covered pretty well.  For some reason though, when I first
> sought out pages telling me how to get on rawhide (because 18 hadn't
> been branched just yet), I never stumbled onto the
> Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum page.  I mostly got a rawhide box based on
> intuition, but that page clearly documents some things I hadn't
> thought about.  My suggestion for incorporating this link into the
> Releases/Branched page was primarily based on the impression that the
> former covered that specific topic more thoroughly.  Thus I kind of
> envisioned something akin to:
>
> """
> Yum update from previous official release
> This method is available but generally not recommended. Anaconda can
> make changes that are outside what the packaging system can normally
> deal with. You may also run into dependency problems which could take
> time to untangle. You may also need to upgrade from the immediately
> previous release (e.g. install Fedora 12, then Fedora 14 Branched, not
> jump directly from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 Branched). Be prepared to
> wipe your system and re-install from scratch if things do not go
> well.
>
> If you decide to go this route anyway, please see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> """
>
> Also, that paragraph is just plain confusing (to me, at least).  After
> trying to parse it for a while, I think it's trying to say: You may
> *first* need to upgrade *to* the immediately previous release (e.g.
> install/upgrade to Fedora *13*, then Fedora 14 Branched, not jump
> directly from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 Branched).

Thanks for the feedback. I actually recently revised some very similar
text on the Releases/Rawhide page; I hope it's clearer now (please do
take a look and let me know what you think). I'll try and find a few
minutes to apply similar changes to the Releases/Branched page - I
wasn't aware it had similar text. Thanks!