KDE 4.9 F16?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:33:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Arnav Kalra <arnavkalra007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with mike upgrading can be very tedious.  But I do not think that
> installing archlinux is less tedious.

The initial install of the first attempt at an archlinux install takes
longer than an initial install of Fedora - however once you know what
you are doing almost all of it can be scripted fairly easily - so that
future installs are not really any different in time to installing
Fedora.

The huge gain then comes 6 months later when no clean install or messy
upgrade is necessary.  Arch is continuously updated with packages
close to upstream. So if one machine is installed with Fedora at
release time and another with arch at the same time - then 6 months
later you need to spend the same time again with the Fedora machine
but the arch machine is already using up to date package sets if it
has been updated regularly in the meantime (as would the Fedora
machine presumably). For many machines the small progressive updates
as new package versions come available means that there is no "big
bang" effort needed to install new versions of the entire operating
system any more. As more machines are looked after the gains in time
become increasingly valuable particularly in a corporate environment.

The issue of rolling release was discussed to death in the Fedora
lists quite some time ago and Fedora made the decision that it would
be unable to and would not support a rolling release model - which is
fine - the devs make whatever decision is agreed among them for the
distribution they put their effort into. Users can continue to run
with that system or can change to a different distribution if they
wish. Same with D.E.s - people have a free choice - I am not trying to
re-raise the whole discussion.

I feel an urge to be as up to date and cutting edge as possible which
is why I asked the simple question about packaging this D.E. for F16 -
the answer was a categoric "no" - which is fine - that is what Fedora
maintainer for this package have decided - so I will move on....  when
I only had a couple of machines to look after Fedora suited me fine.

Anyway feel free to simply ignore me - I asked a question and got an
answer which is fine - and I am not pushing on this any further.

--
mike c