Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:16:31 UTC 2012

On 1 December 2012 13:04, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2012-12-01 12:47 (GMT-0700) Stephen John Smoogen composed:
>
>> Tom Horsley wrote:
>

>>> In many many years of installing all kinds of linux distros,
>>> I have never encountered a more baffling and cryptic screen
>>> than the one I ran into when I made the attempt to install
>>> Fedora 18 Beta from the DVD image:...
>

>>   Why are you testing this software if you are afraid it is going to
>> trash your primary system? Did you realize that this email you wrote
>> was entirely unconstructive
>

> On the contrary, it mirrors my experience. I installed to a system that had
> previously had little installed to it, so there was no irreversible damage
> it could do. Yet, it did plenty damage, as attempting to ascertain what
> actions would cause what results was a baffling experience. What the post
> does is let devs know something's wrong with it if people experienced in
> testing and willing to take risk are stymied by it.

Actually no. Most people actually just skip emails like that.. if Tom
or others would like to get the dev's attention, here is a way to do
so.

Hi,

I downloaded Fedora 18 Beta and tried testing it for you. What I found
was a very frustrating experience and I felt stymied along in multiple
places.

1) I found the new layout confusing in that there was no "Why is this
different" and "How am I to use this" screens or if there were I could
not find them.
2) In trying to format my disk drive, the wording "BLAH" did not seem
to explain what I wanted. When I checked the Help screen it did not
clarify what I needed to do with "BLAH".
3) ...

Here is what I am trying to do:
1) My hardware is X,Y, and Z
2) My disk drive has .... installed on it. {Fill in the data for the
partitions below like
 a) First partition is a boot loader for Linux
 b) Second is Windows
 c) Third is Ubuntu
 d) Fourth is my old Fedora partition.}
3) What I am trying to do is {install Fedora like I did before,
install Fedora for a first time, etc}

How can I do this and how can we make this easier to do for others?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."