no trash folder in kmail (was: Re: Now that Fedora 18ß is out, questions still here? It's a Kmail one...)

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 16:44:38 UTC 2012

hi,

> > anyways, still it'd be worth reporting (if not done already?)
>
> I guess I should. I wasn't sure if it was now
> supposed to be like that.

heh, even if it was supposed to be that way, it would be a bad decision from
the user POV, and so a bug should be filed to revert the change (or make it
optional)

> > btw, if you don't see the folder in kmail,
> > can you see it in akonadiconsole? does it exist on disk?
>
> This I do not know. I haven't used akonadiconsole.

/me just wonders how someone can be so lucky not to meet akonadiconsole until
now :-)

> What I just did, however, was to manually create a trash folder, just to see
> if my deleted emails would be in it, but it was empty. The trash folder I
> created did not get the special trash-folder icon, so I suppose the system
> doesn't consider it to be the real trash.

yes, exactly

and in addition, the special properties are scanned only on startup ...

> I will delete that one again before I go into akonadiconsole.

no need to do so

after starting akonadiconsole, go to the browser tab

rightclick the folder you want to use as trash, choose Folder Properties

go to Attributes tab, there you should have two lines (you can safely remove
any superfluous ones)

SpecialCollectionAttribute=trash
ENTITYDISPLAY=("Trash" "user-trash" "" ())

(note that I use "=" as a separator within email, but in reality these are two
columns in a table)

the first line specifies that this folder will work as the trash folder

the second one sets display name (i.e. not the on-disk name), the icon, and
... I don't remember what is the third string and it is not important :-)
the second line also corresponds to the settings on the General tab of that
dialogue, but these are not synchronised well, so I recommend to play just
with the Attributes tab

after making the changes, stop kmail then stop akonadiserver

on a next kmail start, the trash folder should work
- note that the actual bug may render the trash folder unusable anyways, the
steps above have worked for me for messing with system folder when correcting
localisation issues etc.

K.

--
Karel Volný