Disadvantages of offline updates

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 04:12:22 UTC 2012

> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 17:58 -0800, Brian Marshall wrote:
>
> > Although, after reading those GNOME bugs, is not receiving a notification a bug
> > on its own? I haven't seen an "updates available" notification since I
> > installed the F18 beta last week.
>
> I'm not sure the current status. When I filed my bug, which was a bit
> pre-Beta, I was getting notifications, obviously (the bug being that
> clicking on them triggered an online update). I can't say I've noticed
> any lately, but I don't know if that means there aren't any or I just
> forgot about them, or if it's intentional or a bug...

We are only showing a notification about 'important' updates - which are
currently defined as security updates. And there's another inconsistency
there in that the notification lets you launch the update viewer, which
lets you review the updates and install them 'online' - the opposite of
what you get for regular updates.

So yes, the user experience is not as consistent as we want it to, yet.
I think Adam already pointed to the relevant upstream bugs.