Manual Partitioning and LVM, Re: Puzzled

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 07:09:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 01:52 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> I am not sure how things are suppose to work but I do not see ANY LVs!!!!
>
> There are regular old partitions which I can use for /boot but all of
> the rest of my disk space is in PVs.  IMO, the whole way storage is
> being handled in F18 needs to be rethought!  Guessing how to do
> something should never happen.

Well, your mail rather gave the impression you wanted to re-use existing
LVs as backing for the F18 mount points. If that's not the case,
obviously the instructions we gave you don't apply.

> Can someone point me to some documentation which describes (and maybe
> has some pictures) how to do manual allocation using pre-defined LVM
> partitions?

We are trying to help you here, but it's not easy, as you aren't
explaining what it is you want to do exactly very well. So to clarify,
you have existing PVs but no LVs, and you want to create new LVs?