new criterion proposal: core kickstart commands

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 5 14:37:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 08:22:52AM -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> I tried to make a core selection. I had the following in mind:
> 1. Kickstarts are used for automation, therefore the most important commands related to automation must work (manual intervention is not fine).
> 2. Commands which are easily work-aroundable shouldn't be part of the core selection.
>   Example: 'authconfig' kickstart command is just a wrapper around authconfig tool. You can issue the same command in %post and it should do the same. If %post works, it's trivial to work around nonfunctional authconfig kickstart command. The same applies for 'firewall', 'group', 'user' and others, it's trivial to run it in %post.

Having depended on kickstart for years, I'm of the very strong belief that
while it's okay to have a subset for alpha and beta blockers,
*all*documented commands should work for final unless they were marked as
deprecated and gave warnings in a previous release. (Preferably two
releases, since jumping one release is expected with our lifecycle.)