Manual Partitioning and LVM, Re: Puzzled

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 6 02:07:15 UTC 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Gene Czarcinski <gene at czarc.net> wrote:

> No Logical Volumes listed.  There are only the regular partitions and the Physical Volume partitions listed under unknown.
>
> Did a pvscan which showed the three VGs on this system.  Then I did a lvscan which listed all of the Logical Volumes and showing them inactive.

This is DVD? Netinst? Or LiveCD? I'm using a LiveCD, and VGs are active already.

On Dec 5, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Gene Czarcinski <gene at czarc.net> wrote:

> OK, I boot up the "live" gnome desktop and used it to install.  Yes, all of the LVs were there and it figured out all of the installed/bootable systems.  I was able to manually configure and re-use partitions.

OK so you're saying it works with the LiveCD but doesn't with DVD or Netinst? Please file a bug. And reproduce the problem, once you get to Manual Partitioning, go to a shell and grab the .log files from /tmp and post those to the bug report. This is arguably a release blocking bug if it's reproducible.

> BUT, it did not offer me a choice of where to install grub2 (MBR or boot partition) … it did MBR which was not too bad because I could easily recover.

In beta, anaconda 18.29 has an option to not install a bootloader. 1.) It doesn't work, that's fixed in the 18.34 and 18.35 I've tested yesterday; and 2.) there is no option to install GRUB 2 to a partition because it's not recommended by upstream for ext4 to take block lists, which is the only way to get GRUB to install to an ext4 partition since ext4 only has 1024 bytes of boot sector padding.

So if you want GRUB2 on a partition, you have to 'grub2-install --force /dev/sdaX' yourself. Or better, if you're using some other instance of GRUB2, is to add a menu entry for that GRUB's

Chris Murphy