why not a partition assignment mode? (Re: community etiquette (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?))

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 6 05:00:59 UTC 2012

On Dec 4, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> I don't know why you'd expect a 'partition assignment only' mode to
> exist, given that there wasn't one in F17 and there was no indication of
> one in any of the design documents for newui.

Maybe it's expected because 95% of the world's desktop/server OS's have this option. And maybe it's expected because it actually works with a very simple and discoverable UI for both basic and advanced user needs.

Let's rephrase the question, open to the whole list: why is a point and shoot install to a volume (or partition) such a bad idea that it isn't even an option in anaconda?

Why is the first thing we do choosing a device, rather than a partition or a volume?

Chris Murphy