why not a partition assignment mode?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 07:21:06 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-05 21:44 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 22:00 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

>> On Dec 4, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>> > I don't know why you'd expect a 'partition assignment only' mode to
>> > exist, given that there wasn't one in F17 and there was no indication of
>> > one in any of the design documents for newui.

>> Maybe it's expected because 95% of the world's desktop/server OS's
>> have this option.

> Erm. Really? Are you sure we're not talking at cross-purposes here? I'm
> not sure I recall seeing any installer other than Mandriva's which
> offers a special version of its partitioning interface where you cannot
> create or remove partitions, only select mount points for existing
> partitions. That is what the OP is describing.

For those unfamiliar, Mageia as a fork of Mandriva retained the same
installation cmdline option "readonly=1". Using it presents the following
partitioning windows during installation, quite logically, prior to software
selection:

#1 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s1.png
#2 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s2.png

After software is selected and installed is presented the following screen,
where installation process summary and (re)configuration options can be seen:
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaInstSummary.png

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/