Cryptically zoned out Firewall

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Dec 6 16:56:24 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 07:55 AM, Thomas Woerner wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 04:26 PM, Thomas Woerner wrote:
>> On 11/06/2012 01:07 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>>> The new firewall replaces the old "trusted interface" with
>>> multiple "zones" .  This would be fine if one could easily
>>> tell which zone each network interface was in and
>>> make changes.
>>>
>> firewalld is not selecting the zone for an interface related to a
>> connection. NetworkManager does this. The zone is set in the ifcfg
>> config file, if it is not the default zone.
>>
>>> The only to change an interface's zone is with an arcane
>>> firewall-cmd incantation.
>>>
>> There is a patch for the gtk nm-connection-editor to add a very simple
>> selection menu for connections. The NM connection editor in KDE is
>> providing support for this already.
>>
> This has been integrated into network-manager-applet upstream and
> should hit Fedora soon. Within nm-connection-editor the zone for
> interfaces related to a connection can be changed.
>
>>> Given the new concepts of persistence and zones, the
>>> admin>firewall applet needs to present these concepts
>>> to the user in a clearly intuitive, easy to change way.
>>>
>> Ok, the firewall-applet should provide information on how to do change
>> zones for connections, I agree.
>>
>>> The current view should be radio buttons.
>>> Each interface should have a selector for which zone
>>> it should be in.  Finally, do we need so many zones?
>>> A default of two zones should suffice and be more
>>> understandable.  At least don't show zones that aren't used.
>>>
>> There are the base zones: block, drop, public, work and trusted. The
>> other zones have been added on request. You can also add own zones
>> according to your needs.
>>
>> Thomas

It is a month later and and there is no apparent coordination on zones
between
Network Manager and firewall zones.  Just now I tried to bring up
"firewall" to see
if it had a useful help option and all I got was a dbus error.

If one can add zones at will, let's ship Firewall with two or three
zones - say public, work,
and trusted.  And each network config GUI should have a GUI to assign a
zone to
each network interface.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com