new criterion proposal: core kickstart commands

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 7 19:37:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 11:08:27AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Initially I said that if commands need to change or go away, they should be
> > marked deprecated for a release or two. Similarly, certain commands could be
> > marked as Experimental (btrfs) or Unstable (autopart, say).
> > Then, once that's done, the release criteria are easy.
> That would be nice, but the fact is that we have to get releases done
> every six months, including supposedly one within the next two weeks,
> but we don't have any convenient guns to hold to the heads of the
> anaconda team to make them re-do the documentation. If we put in a
> criterion which says 'all documented kickstart commands must work' now,
> then we are committing to supporting them all for F18, unless someone
> magically re-does the kickstart documentation in the next two weeks,
> which doesn't appear likely to happen.

I think it's definitely too late for F18, in a moving-goalposts kind of way.
But, I still would rather the criteria for F19 to be "all
kickstart commands work, unless they're documented as experimental or
unstable", and for F20 to be a step more strict.

I think Kamil's actually done 90% of that work already, and I'm happy to
work with everyone and the anaconda team to update the official kickstart
documentation -- but I think there's enough going on right now that it's
_best_ for that to wait until after the F18 release.