dracut whines...

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 11 20:45:07 UTC 2012

F18 TC1 x86-64 install DVD displays some complaints (the following indented lines
appeared on the console, but I copied them later from /var/log/boot.log):

  [  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
  [  OK  ] Reached target Basic System.
  dracut-pre-pivot[457]: cp: cannot stat '/etc/cmdline': No such file or directory
  dracut-pre-pivot[457]: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs,
  dracut-pre-pivot[457]: missing codepage or helper program, or other error
  dracut-pre-pivot[457]: In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
  dracut-pre-pivot[457]: dmesg | tail or so

  Welcome to Linux!

I did not observe any problem that I can attribute to the condition
reported by these messages, but they appear to say something unexpected
has occurred.

There was no line in /tmp/syslog that contained "dracut" but I can supply
this file if anyone has an interest in it.