Anaconda crashes trying to install Inkscape

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Tue Dec 11 21:11:46 UTC 2012

On 11.12.2012 18:13, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote on Tue, 11 Dec
> 2012 07:15:57 +0100
>
>> Maybe there should be two groups of packages: important (core or
>> whatever) that must be installed and other (not important) that might
>> fail to install?
> I think it better to start over with a "minimal install" (where all
> "important" packages are successfully loaded), then move forward from
> that point, than to try to use a just-installed system that is known to
> be broken in some ill-defined way.
>
> Certainly it asks too much from the installer to discern what package
> installation failures will be acceptable to one user but not for another.
>
> If the Inkscape failure results from selection of additional software to
> be included in the original installation, a default installation without
> additional software may succeed.  Then, it will not be necessary to drop
> back all the way to a minimal installation.

I generally agree with you and John about minimal installation. I also
prefer to install as few packages as possible but if there is an option
to install all that goodies it should work or it should be removed from
anaconda. Maybe anaconda should really focus on minimal but complete
Fedora installation which includes text only and full DE enabled systems
without additional tools like Inkscape, GIMP or whatever isn't required
to boot and allow user to run yum install command.

I think that this issues are only temporary and in final release they
get fixed.

Mateusz Marzantowicz