how to enable ssh?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Dec 12 02:46:07 UTC 2012

On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com> wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2012, at 2:15 AM, Tiansworld <tiansworld at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/30/2012 01:54 PM, cornel panceac wrote:
>>> is there a way to enable ssh on f18? i tried enable/disable, start/stop
>>> firewalld/iptables.service, and even lokkit --enabled (which responded
>>> with: ERROR: FirewallD is active, please use firewall-cmd.)
>>>

>> Please make sure you have installed ssh first.
>> For you to ssh a remote host, you should install openssh-clients.
>> For people you want to ssh your machine, then you should install openssh-server as well.
>> You may run this to check:
>> rpm -qa|grep ssh
>>
>> If you have the software packages installed, you can use ssh directly.
>> If you want others to ssh your machine, you should make the sshd service available, and make sure the firewall is set to trust ssh service.
>> Use command: systemctl enable sshd.service to enable sshd service.
>> Use system-config-firewall to adjust trusted services.
>>
>> Hope these procedures can help you.
>
> I'm had the same sort of problem after a fresh installation of Fedora 18 Beta.
>
> sshd was enabled and started.
>
> system-config-firewall indicated the firewall was not enabled.
>
> And, yet, I could not ssh into the box until it was rebooted.  So presumably there is some bit that still needed to be restarted before this could work.  Any idea what that is?

I've had this problem off and on also, but it's always been resolved by 'systemctl restart firewalld.service' but I don't know why.

And while system-config-firewall indicates it's not enabled/running/connected (whatever), it actually appears to be hung up trying to connect to firewalld; if you do 'systemctl status firewalld.service' it clearly is running.

Chris Murphy