F18 final release criterion #9, Windows

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 13 23:19:54 UTC 2012

On Dec 13, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> topart' does not shrink anything. If you're going to shrink a
> partition the only way is interactively, either via the 'guided'
> free-up-space dialog, or custom part.

I'm considering "not custom" as "autopart" because I have almost no choices or customization. It is automatically repartitioning based on the single input I've given which is whether to shrink or delete the Windows volume. In this case shrink.

> So I think the big change in behaviour here - which somehow I hadn't
> quite grokked before - is that, in the non-custom ('guided') workflow in
> F18, you don't get any opportunity to decide how much shrinking to do.

There are a number of departures between the newUI mockups and reality, Reclaim Disk Space is one of the biggest "sleeper" differences. However, I thought a while ago there was a way to set the percentage, it just was non-obvious what I was doing with it.

> I know we're pretty late here, but we may need to do some lobbying of
> the anaconda team to do something about this. The current non-custom
> shrink option seems almost worse than not having one at all.

Setting aside the breaking of the Windows volume (an obvious blocker), at a minimum the default needs to be limited to something like 25% of the Windows volume's free space (instead of 98%), especially considering it's ambiguous what the percentage is even referring to. So it needs to be safe, even if user resizing is (re)integrated.

Chris Murphy