Install along side Windows (blocker) bugs, 875944 and 885912

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 00:38:43 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-13 16:20 (GMT-0800) Brian Marshall composed:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 05:21:03PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Those who follow all the instructions don't have that problem. Those
>> "unmovable" areas are usually the swap file and/or the hibernation
>> file. Disable those, reboot, and resize can work as expected. Doing
>> it in safe mode may help if it turns out there are other "unmovable"
>> areas.

> I've never had any success with repartitioning in Windows. That's just going to
> harm adoption of Fedora if you require users to do extra unfamiliar and

What I wrote was not meant to suggest a requirement. When I wrote "get people
to" it was meant to "suggest" or "induce", neither of which = require.

> frustrating steps in Windows. There's no technical reason for that either -
> Linux can resize NTFS fine, it's just seems to be a regression in Anaconda for
> now.

What percentage of people break Windows by using Windows to resize Windows?

What percentage of people break Windows by using (any) Linux installer to
resize Windows?

I suggest the latter would be the bigger number by far, at least,
historically. Hopefully any "newUI" installer would be expected to drop its
incidence before it's unleashed in a non-beta distro.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/