NetworkManager and VM Bridged Networking

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 20:29:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 14:15 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:33:38 -0800
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>
> > If NM with its doppleganger ModemManager isn't as good as "network",
> > why is it in Fedora?
>
> My best guess is because a bunch of guys who spend all their time
> on laptops hopping from one Starbucks to another decided to
> write a completely different network management system from scratch
> that would work for wireless and nothing else, then because it
> was new and shiny it just had to replace network even though
> it couldn't do anything but wireless.
>
> Personally, I would much rather they had fixed network's
> wireless capabilities instead of a complete rewrite (because
> years later, the rewrite still can't do everything network
> does).

Please refrain from this kind of ridiculous speculation. It does no
credit to the list or to the project. The design goals of NetworkManager
are _on the project's front page_:
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/ . This is not difficult to
discover. This kind of bad faith faux-pontification is extremely rude to
the developers and doesn't take us anywhere productive.