F18, virtualization, gnome, xfce problems and a question

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sat Dec 15 14:19:14 UTC 2012

I am having a few problems on F18 running in a qemu/kvm virtual.  I need
some advice on what data to collect and what package should the problem
be bugzill'ed against.

1. Install gnome desktop.  The firstboot gui runs and is OK.  After
login (or maybe even on the login screen), there is no mouse pointer
visible.  I can move the pointer on and off the virtual's display but
when it is on it, I don't see anything.  This is certainly repeatable
for me.

2. Install xfce desktop (by itself or with other desktop managers such
as gnome).  The firstboot gui runs fine.  Then I get this "strange
message" at the top of the screen and it keeps blink on-off-on-off... (I
suspect something is looping trying to start.) Again, this is very
repeatable for me.

All of the above installs and works fine on real hardware.

The lxde desktop installs and works fine in a qemu/kvm virtual system.

Question:

What is the login screen suppose to look like in F18?  With different
desktop managers or combinations of managers, a different screen is
shown.  Are there some screenshots of what it is support to look like?

Gene