F18, virtualization, gnome, xfce problems and a question

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sat Dec 15 19:27:20 UTC 2012

On 12/15/2012 10:23 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 12/15/2012 09:19 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> I am having a few problems on F18 running in a qemu/kvm virtual.  I
>> need some advice on what data to collect and what package should the
>> problem be bugzill'ed against.
>>
>> 1. Install gnome desktop.  The firstboot gui runs and is OK. After
>> login (or maybe even on the login screen), there is no mouse pointer
>> visible.  I can move the pointer on and off the virtual's display but
>> when it is on it, I don't see anything. This is certainly repeatable
>> for me.
>
> Cinnamon has the same problem.
>>
>> 2. Install xfce desktop (by itself or with other desktop managers
>> such as gnome).  The firstboot gui runs fine.  Then I get this
>> "strange message" at the top of the screen and it keeps blink
>> on-off-on-off... (I suspect something is looping trying to start.)
>> Again, this is very repeatable for me.
It appears that the problem is related to lightdm because it is the dm
selected when things do not work. Rebooting in single user mode,
disabling lightdm and then enabling another dm (such as lxdm or kdm).
This is what I will report.  Too bad, I kind-of like lightdm.

One other comment.  While slim is missing a service file, it does not
appear to be able to select language or desktop with this dm. Not good!

>> All of the above installs and works fine on real hardware.
>>
>> The lxde desktop installs and works fine in a qemu/kvm virtual system.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> What is the login screen suppose to look like in F18?  With different
>> desktop managers or combinations of managers, a different screen is
>> shown.  Are there some screenshots of what it is support to look like?
OK, I have the answer.  Each of the various desktops has a favorite
display manager which it brings in when iots destop group is installed.
Well, if you install multiple desktops (did that with a kickstart
install), then the first dm package to be installed "wins".  I am going
to bugzilla firstboot to add a dm selection if multiple are installed.

Gene