Clamd service file was Re: Claws-Mail <--> Clamd

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 19:38:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:49:41 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > > yum install */freshclam */clamd
> >
> > > yum install */clamscan
> >
> > One doesn't install it like that, if one wants to benefit from
> > _packages_. With RPM packages, one would search for "clamav" and
> > then pick the wanted set of _packages_ to install.
>
> I would agree, but I didn't\don't know every single act re. Fedora

Searching for packages and examining their contents (or only their
descriptions) is not specific to Fedora.

> > Only if you look for specific executables, your commands may be
> > considered appropriate. But then you need to live with missing
> > service scripts and missing config files, and you may need to
> > create several files from scratch.
>
> Should not yum install clamav-server.rpm,
> pull it all it's configs to get it running?

Compare
  yum info clamav-server
with
  yum info clamav-scanner

then decide what you need/want. If in doubt, there is a README file
inside the clamav-server package in case you examine what that package
does.

> You could even compile from
> > source tarball.
>
> This I avoid, hence a binary distro

Hmmm, then you really cannot avoid examining how something is packaged and
figure out whether and where there is added value, such as preconfigured
services, example files, or meta-packages (which glue several pieces
together).

--
Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow) - Linux 3.6.9-4.fc18.x86_64
loadavg: 0.18 0.07 0.06