Some numbers on blocker/NTH nominations (regarding process revision)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 21:07:21 UTC 2012

> Hey, folks. So the question of whether and how to streamline the
> blocker/NTH review process is one that keeps coming up lately. Here's
> some numbers I thought may be of interest in regards to that:
>
> 		f14		f15		f16		f17		f18
> alpha		39		39		46		35		91
> alpha nth	-		18		13		14		42
> beta		44		78		81		99		178
> beta nth	11		20		32		35		86
> final		85		96		119		113		146
> final nth	62		58		65		45		99
>
> total blocker	168		213		246		247		415
> total nth	73		96		110		94		227
>
> total		241		309		356		341		642
> %age nth	30.29		31.07		30.89		27.57		35.36
>
> Those are the numbers of bugs ever nominated as blocker or NTH for each
> release point for each release going back to F14, which was the first
> release where we had NTH (starting at Beta). Methodology is simple. Just
> fire off this BZ search:

I went back and added 12 and 13 just for completeness. They had no NTH,
and they both skew heavily towards Final - I think people weren't aware
of the Alpha and Beta blockers at the time, there are far fewer
Alpha/Beta blockers and more Final blockers. But the overall totals
follow the trend: f12's total was 264 and f13's was 205, which broadly
fit in with the trend of total blockers per release. From f12 through
f17 we have between 168 and 264 blockers per release, and excluding f14,
it's an even narrower range, 205-264, with no clear trend in any
direction. We're clearly not getting more and more blockers with each
release.