GPT and Fedora 17

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 22:40:37 UTC 2012

In Fedora 16 we changed to using GPT as the default disklabel for new
installs. In a few cases, mostly limited to Lenovo hardware, we found
that some BIOS's would not boot from GPT. We blacklisted Lenovo, falling
back to msdos labels in order to solve this.

Thanks to Matthew Garrett we found that switching on the boot flag of
the GPT's protective MBR these BIOS's would then boot from GPT. Matthew
wrote a patch for parted to allow controlling this flag using the
disk_set pmbr_boot command in parted. This is in parted-3.0-7

In anaconda-17.6 I have reverted the Lenovo blacklist and changed things
so that pmbr_boot is always set on GPT labeled installs. This should
ensure that thing boot correctly.

If this still causes problems the symptom will be that grub never starts
and the bios may complain about not being able to find an OS. If you
have problems with this please open a bug with the output from dmidecode

You can still force usage of msdos partitions by passing nogpt on the
kernel cmdline.