automake-1.11.2-1 and automake-1.11.3-1 huge issue!

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 18:53:24 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 11:28 AM, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings All:
>
> Ever since these updates were released, I am getting these crashes when
> trying to compile my local copy of the development version of Gramps-3.4.0
>
> Is anyone else getting the same, and if yes, is there a solution for it???
>
> src/DateHandler/Makefile.am:9: `pkgdatadir' is not a legitimate directory
> for `PYTHON'

This sounds like something you should be asking on upstream automake
lists.  This snippet from the NEWS for automake 1.11.2 might be relevant:

  - Automake now warns about more primary/directory invalid combinations,
    such as "doc_LIBRARIES" or "pkglib_PROGRAMS".

Based on my reading of the automake manual, it looks like *_PYTHON
primaries want to create byte-compiled and optimized versions at install
time, and since byte-compilation might be architecture-dependent,
autoconf is trying to tell you that use of pkgdatadir (which is supposed
to be arch-independent) is an inappropriate location to be installing
your python files into.  It sounds like the bug is in Gramps'
Makefile.am files, and that maybe it should be using pkgythondir instead
of pkgdatadir.