Getting harder and harder to debug startup probs

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 13 10:59:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Matthias Runge wrote:

> More general:
>
> If you're hit by some bug, you get lost; nowadays sooner than later. I
> can't count, how many times I had some error getting X up (or even
> system up) since the move to systemd.
>
> Next sad thing is, it isn't reproducible every time. Since we're
> testing moving targets, it's pretty unclear, how to reproduce the
> situtation _now_ on _my_ special system? Since I can't login, I can't
> get a package list.

It isn't just systemd. I don't think gnome-shell helps either, because you
tend to get an unhelpful "blue screen of death" type message if something
goes wrong making it difficult to work out what the problem is. Previously
the system continued as best it could, meaning you might see what the
problem was in what did and didn't appear on the desktop, and might get
enough functionality on the desktop to debug the problem more easily.

 	Michael Young