F17 Alpha RC2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 21:18:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 22:14 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:07:44 -0800, AW (Adam) wrote:
>
> > > As mentioned before, "Show Plymouth boot screen" mentioned "FAILED".
> > > It asked me to check
> >
> > I've seen that fail in all my test installs, but it hasn't actually
> > prevented boot.
>
> Package "plymouth" was not installed here. Huh?
>
> That also breaks plymouth-scripts: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/794894
>
> After installing "plymouth", I got the boot animation _and_ the LUKS
> passphrase prompt!

Heh. Well, that would explain it.

It does seem like nothing compels the installation of plymouth. plymouth
itself is not listed in comps, only:

comps-f17.xml.in:      <packagereq type="default">plymouth-system-theme</packagereq>

but plymouth-system-theme doesn't require plymouth, directly or
indirectly. The only things that *do* require plymouth are
plymouth-devel and sugar-logos.

I'll have to look at F16 and see what changed there...