Can't start acroread in F17/Alpha

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 14:39:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 09:21 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Did somebody try to run acroread in F17? I did it and got as result:
>
> acroread
>
> /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading
> shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot enable executable stack as
> shared object requires: Permission denied

Fedora's OpenSSL build does:

# Add -Wa,--noexecstack here so that libcrypto's assembler modules will
be
# marked as not requiring an executable stack.
RPM_OPT_FLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -Wa,--noexecstack"

Which implies that the executable stack marking is not in fact needed,
and normally only exists because the assembler has to assume the stack
_might_ be executable.

You should be able to clear the executable stack flag for individual
binaries (the bundled libcrypto, in this case) by running 'execstack -c'
on them.  After which you should be able to turn the selinux boolean
back on.

- ajax