VirtualBox and test releases

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sat Feb 25 00:36:11 UTC 2012

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:25:24 -0500
From: Claude Jones<cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com>
To: For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases
	<test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: VirtualBox and test releases

On 2/24/2012 4:23 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> >  Although the interface is slow, I haven't had the same multi-minute
> >  delays you speak of. Also, I've found that to build guest additions
> >  all you need is:
> >
> >  $ yum install gcc kernel-headers kernel-devel make dkms

> >  I hope you figure out what the problem is!
I did some testing:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Fedora-SoaS#Fedora-17-Alpha-RC4-x86_64-Live-Desktop_install_to_VirtualBox

My conclusion;

Virtualbox with llvm-pipes works if your memory is set high enough and
you have a new fast processor:
-MacbookPro i7 works very well. And was quite responsive.
   Note the size of the memory also seems to be involved (above link)
1256 MB seemed best.
-Dell 520n does not
   Dell was glacially slow and when after 6 hrs I got the live-Desktop
installed (I booted to init 1 and gave liveinst command) , the gnome3
shell rendering was very broken up.
   The menu bar had missing letters in the titles and the circular
cursor pulsed on and off. Totally unusable.

   I saw this on IRC today:
> check if you're getting software rendering of GNOME Shell,
> which is likely to be slow: if so you can force fallback mode from a VT,
> much faster than trying to get through the control center, with this
> command:
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'gnome-fallback'
>
> run it as user - not root - then log out and back in again.

I wish that gnome-fallback mode  could be called from the command line
at boot.

I'm not going to try at this point. I'm going to try installing it in
VMWare Workstation and see if that goes any better. Unless someone asks
me specifically to try something with the VirtualBox iteration, I'm not
going to mess with it further.