root= for Fedora 17 pxeboot?

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Mon Feb 27 22:16:51 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 11:04 AM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2012 11:00 AM, "Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R" <caf at omen.com
> <mailto:caf at omen.com>> wrote:
> >
> > I have been using the following for the "default" file in tftpd.
> > It has worked until Fedora 17, which needs a root= phrase.
> > However I can find no information on what that phrase should be.
> > What should it be changed to?
> >
> > prompt 1
> > default linux
> > timeout 100
> >
> > label linux
> > kernel vmlinuz
> > append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216 askmethod noselinux
> >
> > --
> > Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com <mailto:caf at omen.com>
> www.omen.com <http://www.omen.com>
> > Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications
> >  Omen Technology Inc      "The High Reliability Software"
> > 10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   503-614-0430
> >
> > --
>
> Does
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/nfs/nfsroot.txt help?
>
> --pete

I have looked at the document and have no idea of what to include in a root=
phrase.  Apparently no one else does or they would mention a universal root=
that just works as well as Fedora 16 pxeboot did without a root= phrase.

Between a broken pxeboot and an anaconda that flips out when it sees the
wrong
version of Linux on the hard drive, I would think folks would wish to get a
robust install experience before proclaiming a public beta.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com