Using Fedora Spins as a measure of release readiness

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Wed Jun 13 14:31:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:
> spin maintainers are free to propose a Test Day for their Spin if they wish. Test Days are open for anyone who has something to be tested and there's a possible interest in the community to test it. The spin maintainer just has to propose the test day [1] and then attend the event and help testers debug their issues, that's all.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/Create

I think you are presuming that Spin maintainers know how to request QA
help, and are willing to run test days.

What spins are looking for from QA likely is a topic for the Spins SIG list.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
> One has to be mindful of the fact that errors uncovered in the Spins
> testing may have no relevance on the default desktop at all. Spin kickstarts
> add and remove packages as the requirement dictates and this may introduce
> errors. However, a group primarily focussed on audio may uncover errors in
> that domain (pulseaudio for example) where normal testing has not.

The point of this testing would be to test non-default installations.
To the best of my knowledge Fedora does not seem to have much coverage
in this area.  The current test procedures seem to be written around
doing the "default" installation in as many different ways as possible
(via PXE, with RAID, etc.).

Instead of creating an audio, graphics, etc., test day from scratch,
Spins come prepackaged with several items in their specific areas.
There is a formal process for Spin approval so interest in the health
of Spins and their contents can be presumed.

If there are concerns about packages removed from spins to meet size
constraints then it should be possible to test most spins using group
installs.

The alternative would seem to be getting users to provide feedback for
packages in Bodhi besides "It works for me" (or none at all).