Linking negative karma points to a reported bug

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 18:19:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 15:54 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Just bringing this topic to the appropriate mailing list
>
> On the last kernel meeting [1] it was suggested negative karma points
> should be linked to a reported bug which kinda makes sense if you
> think about it.
>
> What that means is that you ( as in reporter ) will no longer be able
> to provide negative karma without linking it to an already existing
> bug report either created by your or someone else if that came to be.
>
> Now this has been discussed and rejected before by Fesco here [2].
>
> From my point of view FESCO should not be sticking their nose in this
> topic since I think it's up to ourselves ( the QA community ) to
> decide whether we want to implement this or not hence I posted this
> here to this list for further discussion.

It's hardly 'sticking their nose in'. The updates policy is owned by
FESCo, not by us. In practice, I'd say the point is kinda moot because
this is clearly Bodhi 2.0 stuff, and we've been waiting for Bodhi 2.0
forever and a day, and it'll be very different from current Bodhi, so we
should probably just keep waiting for it and re-evaluate the whole
process once it _finally_ arrives.

> I myself give +1 to implement this since give negative feedback
> without linking to an already existing bug report helps no one.
>
> There was also mentioned on the meeting that reporters seem to be
> giving negative karma for bugs that never where mentioned getting
> fixed in the updates.
>
> Doing this is a big NO NO since this will lead to fixes for bugs that
> got mentioned being fixed in the update not reaching our end user base
> because of that negative karma so I'm gonna ask reporters that did
> that to stop doing that.

Yeah, this is mentioned in the proven tester instructions (which are
useful for all updates testers, really, so we could probably adjust the
wiki to point to them more prominently) - it's not correct to give a -1
just because an update doesn't fix a bug. It's not correct even if the
update _does_ claim to fix the bug, unless it's the only thing the
update does. If the update has other beneficial changes, then 'it
doesn't fix one bug' is not a valid reason to hold it up.