Fedora ARM QA testing

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:17:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:14 AM, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/2012 02:36 PM, Paul Whalen wrote [has been snipped]:
>
>> We have recently opened up discussions with developers and the community,
>> engaging in a variety of topics to understand the requirements of moving
>> the ARM secondary arch to primary ( details -https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraARM)
>> - with no disruption to the existing Fedora ecosphere.
>
> The Fedora ecosphere already has spent over one thousand hours of developer time
> discussing such issues, as witnessed by at least two recent threads in
> devel at lists.fedoraproject.org:
>   ARM as primary architecture
>   RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements
> Such time likely has not been totally productive [regardless of outcome],
> and certainly cannot be recouped.  This has been a major disruption already.
>
>> Introducing existing QE tests will prove problematic as currently
>> there is no anaconda support for ARM, ...
>
> The topic of hardware+software architecture (ABI) should not be forgotten.
> Some groups have decided that "armhf" is the only worthwhile variant.
> I feel that ignoring "arm eabi[45]" (and specifically, v5te hardware)
> is a short-sighted choice.

We haven't ignored v5te at all, we are supporting it and if you visit
the ARM SIG page you'll see that there are downloads for both armv5tel
and armv7hl rootfs. It's what's being used for the Raspberry Pi and is
what is currently shipping on the XO 1.75. Most projects have decided
to drop armv4 for a number of reasons, this even includes debian,
including the fact that v5 devices are cheap and the v4 devices are
very limited for a modern fully fledged Linux distro. So we're not
being short sighted what so ever to use your own phrase.

Peter