Weird rawhide desktop behavior

John Dulaney j_dulaney at live.com
Sun Mar 25 00:01:44 UTC 2012

> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:37:38 -0300
> Subject: Re: Weird rawhide desktop behavior
> From: lookkas at gmail.com
> To: test at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:
> > Here's a strange pathology that just bit me for the first time in a while,
> > though I've seen it before.  I'm not sure where to file a bug on this
> > one...
> >
> > In short: I'll be working away, minding my own business, when the desktop
> > goes completely dead - no response to any key or mouse events.  That said,
> > the X server is still running; the pointer still moves with the mouse.  I
> > can also switch to another virtual console with alt-ctrl-Fn.  Sometimes
> > things start working again after some time (measured in minutes);
> > sometimes I lose patience and start over.  Today I went and made lunch and
> > it never came back.
>
> I've noticed the same behavior on my box, that was freshly installed
> with Fedora 17 last Friday. I'll see what I can do to gather
> information about the problem as well.
>
> --
> Lucas

I've been seeing similar behaviour in F16 for quite some time.  Usually, it happens
when I am in the middle of something else and don't have time to try to track it down,
and when I do have time for trying to figure it out, it doesn't happen.  It does seem to
occur more frequently when my box is a little warm, so I assumed that it was hardware
related.

John.