Sign of the Gnome 3 apocalypse?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:42:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > How can I access that by keyboard?
>>
>> Ctrl-alt-tab and then using the arrow keys / enter key.
>
> Two problems:
>
> 1. It's extremely inconvenient. I can access usual menus with Alt+F (for _File) and similar. This requires Ctrl+Alt+Tab -> right arrow -> Enter or down arrow.

Menus like those (File, Edit etc.) are *not* going away. The
application menu is for application global stuff like opening the
preferences dialog (not something that you do regularly).
The purpose is not to move the menus to a top bar like done in OSX or
Unity. The idea is to move stuff that is not related to the specific
window (but affects the whole application)
to a common place.

> 2. It collides with default virt-manager keybindings (Ctrl+Alt to grab keyboard focus).
>
> Didn't GNOME developers really think about people who want to access the global menu with a single shortcut?

Suggest one and file a bug (upstream).